We are pleased to announce the launch of a series of spa treatments to address and support the various symptoms associated with the Menopause. As we know, Perimenopause and Menopause are a time of hormonal imbalance bringing with it a myriad of symptoms that can be both uncomfortable and destabilising, leaving many sufferers feeling anxious, stressed and lacking in energy and self-confidence. These symptoms are many, and a list of possible symptoms can be found here, which range from the well-known hot flushes, night sweats and mood swings to the lesser-known ones of anxiety, brain fog, nutritional intolerances, and joint/muscle aches.
This is a time to ensure that the body and mind are nourished and in optimum health with good levels of Vitamins and Minerals such as A, B and E for healthy bones and teeth, and Magnesium and iodine for mood swings and anxiety, all of which are found in seaweed. Seaweed is a fully renewable natural resource and naturally absorbs its nourishment from the sea – over 80% of the seaweed plant is made up of essential minerals, vitamins, and other bioactive compounds.
Seaweed provides a broad range of vital nutrients including fibre, calcium, potassium, and iron. It is known for its high iodine content which helps regulate hormone production by balancing thyroid activity. Balanced hormones can result in better sleep, more energy and better digestion as well as managing the effect of stress on the body.
Seaweed also supports the maintenance of normal, healthy skin and is additionally one of the few plant sources of vitamin B12, a key nutrient to support blood and nerve cells. The high fibre content of seaweed has been found to be beneficial to the gut microbial flora improving gut health, key to addressing menopausal symptoms.
Every Journey is Different
Taking inspiration from Chinese culture where menopause is known as the “second spring”, where feminine potential is celebrated with a renewal of energy and fresh opportunities, VOYA have created 3 separate “tides” or treatments to address the different symptoms of menopause.
The brand celebrates this positive life stage full of wisdom, life experience and innate confidence, contributing to the growing conversation about menopause with relevant programmes, workshops, retreats, and individual consultations to support women going through perimenopause and menopause with complimentary bespoke spa therapies.
Spa therapists will be trained in the symptoms of menopause to include the possible physical and emotional needs of the person in order to deliver the best treatment for them following a consultation to include:
Aromatherapy: Studies have shown that aromatherapy helps to reduce hot flushes, night sweats, depressed mood, irritability, anxiety, and physical and mental exhaustion
Reflexology: Clinical trials have demonstrated that reflexology reduces hot flushes, sweats, and night sweats
Massage: A recent study has shown improvements in sleep patterns and general quality of life following massage therapy.
THE VOYA “TIDES”
VOYA have developed 3 “tides” or journeys that focus on different menopause symptoms which can be tailored to the individual based on their needs:
- Nourish Tide - nutrition, hydration, protection.
- Grounding Tide – sleep, mindfulness, vitality.
- Fortify Tide – metabolism, immunity, circulation.
NOURISH TIDE FOR THE SKIN NUTRITION, HYDRATION, PROTECTION
Menopause can cause changes to the skin. With a reduction in collagen, the skin tends to become drier, sensitive, and irritation prone, so increased hydration and nourishment from the inside out is required. This treatment is designed to hydrate and nourish the skin and body and promote optimum relaxation.
The treatment includes:
- Welcomed with a Fennel tea.
- Walk around the grounds with a breathwork session.
- Thermal experience to boost skin receptors (experience dependent on wet and dry facilities available).
- VOYA Nourishing Cocoon treatment (60 mins) which focuses on rebalancing the body, hydrating the skin, and calming the mind. The treatment opens with VOYA’s Time to Shine exfoliation which leaves skin looking radiant and is followed by herbal body mask as the lady is cocooned in soft muslin. During this a hydrating face mask is applied, followed by a soothing scalp massage to promote full body and mind relaxation.
- The experience also includes a nutritional lunch rich in antioxidants and phytoestrogens.
- A special VOYA gift will be waiting for you at the end of journey to re-create the experience at home. This will differ by spa, but examples of gifted product are VOYA’s beautiful Softly Does It Hydrating Body Lotion, Angelicus Serratus Nourishing Body Oil or one of VOYA’s supplements.
GROUNDING TIDE: FOR THE MIND SLEEP, MINDFULNESS, VITALITY
Difficulty sleeping is one of the most commonly reported symptoms of menopause, with 84% women going through the menopause saying it is an issue*. This treatment is designed around sleep, relaxation, and specific tools to help calm the mind, and ultimately encourage the best quality sleep.
The treatment includes:
- Welcomed with a Chamomile Tea to calm and soothe
- Sound Bathing Session
- Full access to the spa
- VOYA Grounding session (45m). Following VOYA’s opening ritual, a soothing eye mask and cooling marine eye patches are applied. The treatment includes a relaxing pressure point massage for the face and scalp to open the mind and body, before the treatment closes with calming meditation to leave the body and mind in balance, ready for a peaceful night’s sleep.
- After the treatment, there is an opportunity to visit the spa garden to place the seaweed eye patches into the soil, whilst planting an intention for the week or a year of fruition.
A special VOYA sleep gift will be waiting for you at the end of journey to continue your spa experience at home. This will differ by spa, but examples of gifted product are VOYA’s soothing Pillow Heaven Sleep Spray or Lavender, Rose and Camomile Candle.
FORTIFY TIDE: FOR THE BODYMETABOLISM, IMMUNITY, CIRCULATION
Menopause can be a time of increased aches and pains, and regular exercise, especially weight bearing exercises such as swimming, weights, yoga, and Pilates can help alleviate certain symptoms, both mental and physical.
Massage is also recommended to stimulate the lymphatic, circulatory and hormonal systems and can help regulate blood pressure and ease pain, as well as improve mobility, range of motion and coordination and reduce stress.
The treatment includes:
- Welcomed with a Peppermint Herbal Tea.
- YOGA Stretch experience to stretch muscles and joints
- Bespoke Thermal experience to boost immunity and breathing, or seaweed bath (specific routine written with each spa, depending on wet, dry, and bathing facilities available)
- VOYA Fortify Face & Body (75m). This balancing ritual uses aromatherapy oils to calm and restore. The treatment opens with a back massage to relax and unwind, followed by a grounding foot reflexology massage to anchor, and restore. The client then receives a soothing and gentle stomach massage to ease bloating and aid digestion. The treatment closes with a hydration boosting facial, featuring both face and eye masks with cooling marine eye patches to calm skin and ease irritation. Busy minds are quietened with a blissful scalp massage to finish.
A special VOYA gift will be waiting for you at the end of journey to re-create the experience at home. This will differ by spa, but examples of gifted product are VOYA’s new Eucalyptus, Lime, and Rosemary Candle or VOYA’s hero product, Lazy Days Detoxifying Seaweed Bath.
*Fawcett Society (2022) Landmark Study: Menopausal Women Let Down by Employers and Healthcare Providers