With the party season in full swing, it’s no wonder that most homes have a path worn from their front door to their local pharmacy in a bid to combat the recurring cold or flu that they just can seem to shake!
Below we have some tips and tricks that you may not have tried before to boost your immune system!
VOYA Seaweed Baths
If you haven’t tried taking a seaweed bath to fight a cold you need to! Seaweed is packed full of flu tackling goodness! Rich in nutrients such as vitamin c seaweed is one of nature’s most-nutrient rich foods. Seaweeds draw from the sea an incomparable wealth of mineral elements, macro-elements, vitamins, and trace elements. The mineral content of some seaweeds accounts for up to 80% of its dry matter. Steep yourself in a seaweed bath and you can literally feel it working! The warmth along with the seaweed alginate help to ease muscular aches and pain, the abundance of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants help to restore and boost the immune system. Preliminary studies carried out by Dr Peter Smyth from the Conway Institute of Bimolecular and Biomedical Research at University College Dublin and Dr Stefan Kraan, Irish Seaweed Centre, Martin Ryan Institute, in VOYA Seaweed Baths indicate that there is a measurable uptake of minerals by the skin from seaweed baths. The perfect companion for shaking off a cold or flu and an ideal way to relax this winter!
Our scientific research confirms that seaweed has a profound effect on the skin’s collagen production, which is important for the brightness, elasticity, and suppleness of your skin. Did you know that Type 1 Collagen forms 80% of the total collagen present in the highest levels of your skin?
Our scientific research confirms that seaweed, particularly our Laminaria Digitata and Fucus Serratus seaweeds improve Type 1 Collagen production in skin by over 200% and 140% respectively. *
*in vitro testing performed by Applied Biotechnology Centre, Institute of Technology Tralee
Superfood Shopping List
- Citrus fruits – Lemons, oranges, limes – all rich in Vitamin C, Green Leafy Vegetables – Broccoli, Spinach, Kale are packed with antioxidants and nutrients.
- Seaweed! – packed full of essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, it also an amazing anti inflammatory
- Ginger – with a unique blend of nutrients, vitamins and phytochemicals make it a potent natural remedy for cold and flu. It’s also a natural pain and fever reducer and a mild sedative, helping you rest when sick.
- Garlic – only one problem – you need to eat it…. RAW! Allicin is a powerful antibacterial only present shortly after garlic is crushed and before it is heated. You may need mints on hand after this one!
- Turmeric – bursting with antioxidants and being another natural anti-inflammatory it’s a must if you are tackling a cold and a great addition to prevent colds/flu in the future!
- Berries – blueberries are the first bey that you think of when it comes to antioxidants but cranberries, strawberries raspberries are all extremely beneficial and an excellent way of strengthening your immune system Yogurts – packed full of “friendly” bacteria/probiotics which help to aid digestion and in turn aid the immune system in fighting off infection and harmful bacteria.
Dry Body Brushing
Your skin is a first line of defence from disease. It acts as a barrier, supports detoxification, and synthesises Vitamin D, an important element of immunity. If the skin’s integrity is compromised or its surface is clogged with dead cells, it can’t do its job properly. Dry brushing, exfoliates the skin, helping release impurities by encouraging blood and lymph flow. VOYA’s Body Brush offers a gentle exfoliation, keep it in the bathroom to use just before your shower or bath. Proceed with gentle, repetitive strokes, upward from the feet and hands, and always toward the heart to encourage lymph drainage. Use long strokes on the legs and arms, and on the back. Use circular strokes on the joints, chest, and stomach. Do not use too much pressure and be careful on sensitive areas—your skin should turn just slightly pink. One of our favourite ways to prevent cold and flus, boost the immune system and your skin will feel silky soft!
Complete your shower with a cold rinse.
Alternating hot and cold is also said to improve lymphatic drainage which can enhance the immune system’s ability to fight illness and give it a boost. This is a great way to help prevent a cold or flu but if you’re currently suffering from one we recommend a warm, steamy shower or bath to easy your symptoms!
Hugs and Puppy Love
Positive mental attitude. A bear hug can do more than just make you feel loved and secure. It’s a great stress-reliever! Stress can weaken the immune system and leave the body more vulnerable to infection, it makes sense that a good squeezy hug can help support and boost your immune system. Stroking your pet too might actually boost your immune system. Bizarre as it may sound, the purring sound animals make when petted vibrates at a frequency has been documented to have a healing effect on.