Clay is one of the most cleansing and detoxifying ingredients you can use on your skin. Its healing properties have been used for centuries in ancient cultures. Rich in minerals, the benefits of clay include soothing irritations, detoxifying the skin, controlling oiliness, and brightening the complexion.
The most popular skincare product that uses clay are face masks. Clay face masks are sometimes an under-appreciated addition to our skincare routines, having in recent times being overshadowed by trendy sheet masks. Putting the fact that they are terrible for the environment aside, sheet masks are deemed a more convenient alternative than traditional face mask to give the skin a quick boost, but the reality is, many don’t actually work as hard as a clay mask, to remove impurities from the skin.
Not all Clay Masks are the Same
Not all clay masks are created equally, there are a vast array of masks that are formulated using different clay types, such as Bentonite, Fullers Green, French Green and Rassoul to target different skin care concerns. VOYA use’s Kaolin clay in our best-selling Get Glowing Illuminating Clay Mask.
Why do VOYA use Kaolin Clay?
Kaolin clay is amongst the gentlest types of clay used in the skincare industry. It is known for its very soft texture, and while it typically has a white colour, it is known to be available in other shades of green and pink, depending on the type of minerals present in the clay.
Kaolin clay has a neutral pH and is rich in silica dioxide, it is known to be gentle to the skin and does not dry it out.
What are the benefits of Kaolin Clay?
- Controls Oiliness
- Kaolin helps to remove excess sebum from the face. It works to clear pores without stripping the skin of natural oils
- Naturally Detoxifies
- Kaolin clay picks up traces of dirt, pollution and bacteria and clears them from the skin. It does not block pores and gently removes impurities and dead skin cells without causing redness or irritation.
- Enhances Healing
- Kaolin can help calm irritated skin. It contains mild healing properties that can soothe inflammation. For example, VOYA recommend applying a small amount of Get Glowing to blemishes and leave on overnight to reduce redness.
How to use a Clay Face Mask?
Clay masks are a great add-on to your skincare routine, but we recommend that you to use them in the correct way to get the most benefit, so here are some quick tips!
Tip 1: Clay masks work by permeating into the skin to absorb excess oil. In doing this the clay mask will end up drying while on the skin. The tip is to not leave the mask on for an excessive amount of time, so that it becomes too dry! We recommend removing a face mask after 15 minutes to ensure that it doesn’t become too hard and difficult to remove.
Tip 2: Different areas of your face may have different requirements. So, you don’t necessarily need to apply your clay mask to your entire face. You may have an oily t-zone but dry cheeks. Therefore, it’s totally fine to only apply your clay mask to certain areas of your face or to multitask your mask, by applying a clay mask to one area, but a hydrating mask to another.
Tip 3: Don’t use your clay face mask every day. Use them when you feel like your skin feels irritated and needs some extra TLC or on days when your complexion needs a pick me up.
Get Glowing with VOYA
VOYA's illuminating marine clay face mask works to brighten and purify the skin. Containing a special blend of rosemary, eucalyptus, mineral-rich Irish seaweed and kaolin clay, this treatment deeply detoxifies the skin leaving it silky soft, with a radiant complexion.
- Himanthalia Elongata: Sea Spaghetti rich in vitamin C, essential amino acids (glutamic acid, GAGs) and rich in minerals delivering a natural ability to restore balance to your skin’s moisture levels.
- Kaolin Clay: A deep cleansing and non-drying clay to brighten and refine the skin.
- Prickly Pear: Tightens pores for a smoother and refined skin texture.
- Baobab: Helps skin to maintain moisture levels.
- Lavender: Reduces the inflammation of spots and acne and helps heal scars.
- Purifies, re-balances and detoxifies
- Brightens a dull complexion
- Enhances healing
- Decongests skin