We are thrilled to announce that VOYA has been named Organic Brand of the Year at the Natural Health Magazine International Beauty Awards 2018. This accolade joins the numerous other awards we have won this year, including: Best Body Care for Moonlight Moments, Relaxing Bath & Shower Oil at the Image Beauty Awards 2018, Best Fragrance for Essence Oil at the RSVP Beauty Awards 2018, Best Hand Wash for Clean Me Up at the Social and Personal awards 2018, Editor's Choice at the Beauty Shortlist Awards for Angelicus Serratus, Nourishing Body Oil and Feel the Heat, Muscle Warming Gel.
While our new Mama range won best new Mum to Be brand launch at the Mum & Baby Awards 2018. As a certified organic brand these awards make us extremely proud and thus for this week’s blog we are giving the low down on organic skincare, the benefits and how you can be sure that the beauty products you are buying are the real deal.
According to the Soil Association “Organic Beauty is the formulation of cosmetic products using organically farmed ingredients. These ingredients are grown without the use of Genetically Modified Organisms (GM), herbicides, synthetic fertilisers and more”.
When you choose organic beauty, you are saying Yes to:
- Sustainably sourced organic ingredients
- Using natural colours and fragrances from plants and flowers
- Transparent manufacturing processes
- Biodegradable ingredients
- Minimal packaging with maximum recycled content
And NO to:
- Animal testing
- GM ingredients
- Controversial chemicals
- Parabens and Phthalates
- Synthetic colours, dyes or fragrances
Have you ever bought a product after been enticed by the labelling professing that it is ‘Natural’ or ‘Organic’ only to discover that the product isn’t actually what it seemed to be? You’re probably not alone, a survey by the Soil Association reveals that some 76% of consumers have felt misled by the labelling on beauty products and as part of the research into their Campaign for Clarity, they found that 72% of people would lose trust in a beauty brand that made misleading claims about being organic.
So how do you know if a product is truly organic? Unfortunately, unlike EU food standards, there are no such rules for using ‘organic’ or ‘natural’ in the labelling of beauty products, therefore many brands are greenwashing their labelling to claim standards they have no basis for.
Look for the Label
With so many brands claiming to be organic, how do you cut through the noise? Keep an eye out for certification logos that show a brand has had to prove its credentials. In 2002 the Soil Association launched the first standards for organic cosmetics, their certification process is independent and rigorous.
To reach the Soil Association standard, the entire manufacturing process of a company including the sourcing of ingredients, formulation procedures and premises, as well as the packaging are reviewed. Once a brand has passed the certification process they are given the Soil Association 'stamp of approval'. Check out the Soil Association logo on VOYA products, so that you can be assured our products are fully organic!
VOYA'S Organic Philosophy
“We believe that a sustainable ocean & environment should be our legacy, we care deeply about the health of our planet”
Benefits of going Organic
1. Be more Eco Friendly: Parabens and other chemicals found in daily cosmetics not only destroy the beneficial properties of seaweed but can also have a negative environmental impact. When ingredients are farmed and manufactured in a sustainable and organic way, fewer chemicals are put into the air and water.
2. Less irritation: Organic extracts are anti-microbial and have a solid reputation as a natural healer, therefore they are less likely to cause irritation compared to products that contain harsh chemicals, artificial colours and synthetic fillers.
3. Natural Scents: Organic products like VOYA’s are created using only the most natural colours and fragrances from plants and flowers and not artificial fragrances. Therefore, the aroma is less harsh and gentler on the senses.
4. Less side effects: Organic beauty products use natural preservatives and while some people may have slight reactions to some natural plant based ingredients, the effects are much less severe than the ones from synthetic ingredients.